Unewear logo
Graphics of different thongs

Types Of Thongs

You'll be interested to know the thong has many different name variations around the world - as we take a look in detail.

The 'thong' is still the most commonly used name to refer to the underwear that goes up your bottom - currently followed by the g-string.

But it does vary slightly from country to country as we absorb different cultures and traditions.

Translate a term for thongs to countries you need to find out more, but its especially useful if you're reading online or socially and need the correct term so those in the conversion don't get confused.

G-Banger (Australia)

The delightful term of g-banger is an exclusive Australian term for g-string that includes all styles and shapes and g-strings.

G-String (Australia/US/UK)

Commonly referred to a stringier type of thong underwear that consists of mostly strings on the side and down the back with just a triangle covering the front.

In australia thong underwear is referred to as g-strings - and thongs are called sandals.

Away from Australia and in the UK espacially young adults will refer to thong underwear as being g-strings when the design consists of a stringy wasteband with the triangle design at the back.

String Tanga

Here in the UK a tanga may refer to full coverage knickers with strings on the side. But in South America and even as far as Western Europe a string tanga will be referred to as thongs.

T-Back (US)

The term t-back describes to thong underwear in the style of a 'T' around the back end. For example there is no material or a triangle that runs inside the bottom but simply a string that joins the waste to create a T shape.

Thong (US/US/Canada)

Most popular term to describe thong underwear in the west but not to be confused with the word tong - it's pronounced like fong.

Across the UK, US and Canada you will likely describe this underwear as a thong, sometimes referring it to thong underwear.

V-String (US)

The v-string was simply a brand term from the Victoria's Secrets range over a decade ago.

This term was used to describe a g-string design only but part that is usually a triangle is replaced with two strings to create an upside down V shape.

Share this article: